- 3 slices bacon, diced (nitrate free)
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 organic Gala apple, cored and diced
- 1 bunch (about 3/4 pound) organic chard, well rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in apple.
Meanwhile, cut off the stems of the chard and slice them thinly. Chop the leaves. Stir stems and leaves into the skillet along with the bacon, salt and pepper. Pour in 2 tablespoons water; cover the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until chard is tender, about 8 more minutes.